Commission Reaffirms Opposition to Tolls; Opposes Current Corridor Project; Supports Study of Eastern Bypass
On Tuesday evening May 9, 2017, the Covington City Commission unanimously passed a resolution reaffirming their opposition to tolls and opposing the current plan for the Brent Spence Bridge Corridor.
Citing concerns over outdated plans, economic harm to the City, and the inability of the current plan to fully address congestion in Northern Kentucky, the Resolution states:
1. The Board of Commissioners of the City of Covington, Kentucky reaffirms its opposition to the use of tolls as part of any funding mechanism for improvements to the Brent Spence bridge corridor;
2. The Board of Commissioners of the City of Covington, Kentucky declares its firm opposition to the current plans for the Brent Spence Bridge Corridor Project as irreparably damaging to the economic well-being of the City of Covington, its businesses and residents.
3. The Board of Commissioners of the City of Covington, Kentucky recommends that appropriate Transportation officials pursue immediate changes to the approaches to the Brent Spence Bridge that mitigate congestion and safety issues while minimizing disruption;
4. The Board of Commissioners of the City of Covington, Kentucky recommends that appropriate Transportation officials revisit the Brent Spence Bridge Corridor Project to right- size the bridge project and deal with congestion issues in a comprehensive manner;
5. The Board of Commissioners of the City of Covington, Kentucky supports a fair and considered evaluation of the Cincinnati Eastern Bypass proposal as a means of reducing congestion through the diversion of through- traffic and creating substantial future economic growth opportunity for Northern Kentucky and the Greater Cincinnati region.
The resolution further directs that a copy of the resolution shall be delivered to: Governors of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the State of Ohio; the Secretaries of Transportation of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the State of Ohio; the Ohio Kentucky Indiana Regional Council of Governments, U.S. Senators from Kentucky Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, Congressman Thomas Massie, members of the Northern Kentucky Legislative Caucus and the Kentucky General Assembly; the Northern Kentucky Area Development District; and the Boone, Campbell, and Kenton County Fiscal Courts.
A full copy of the resolution can be found on the City of Covington website at this link (click on “legislation” to view resolution): http://www.covingtonky.gov/news/2017/05/05/board-of-commission-meeting-agenda-and-legislation-05-09-17